Tuesday 25 April 2006

Boooooing

We at Blog Pie are shocked, SHOCKED to hear that the BBC is to phase out its long-running Grandstand programme, an excuse for men to avoid any jobs around the house for the last 48 years.

Naughty, naughty F. Bough thinking only of where his next Boooooing is coming fromWhile we can take or leave the sporting content, which has frankly died on its arse after Sky Sports bought up anything worth watching, there is one sad loss that will hit the nation right in the cockles.

The Grandstand Boooooing.

The Grandstand Boooooing, for the uninitiated, or those living in the colonies, formed part of the programme's theme tune, and appeared at exactly 12.15 every Saturday afternoon, and heralded the start of the weekend's slacking off for British males for decades.

And now, they are killing it off.

First the Radio 4 UK Theme and now this, crushing the very essence of Britishness under a tide of blandity.

They'll be changing the theme to Grange Hill next.

Ah.

We do not ask the BBC to save Grandstand. Oh no, we can take or leave six hours of snooker, tennis and pro-celebrity stare-out. All we ask is this:

Every Saturday, 12.15pm: Boooooing!

We should get an online petition together. They always work.

I am not mad.

7 Crumbs:

Blogger Martin said...

C'mon then, get it set up. I'll sign it.

9:20 am, April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll sign it - as long as you publish some pictures of Frank Bough in ladies underwear

10:59 am, April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloke said on telly yesterday that we've gone past the age of the "shuddering teleprinter." Noooo! Bring it back because it was the thing we all lived for at 4.40 on a Saturday. This is all so very wrong.

12:18 pm, April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arse! You did the Forfar joke and I rubbed it out of my post! The sms thing opens up loads of possibilities for errant pictures of Steve Ryder's missus doing 'things' with a lettuce and a copy of the People's Friend ending up as a result in the conference.

BBC props must have plenty of old telex machines laying around ready to be used in Life on Mars. they did try it for a while in the late 80s/early 90s with "a modern thing" and it just wasn't the same.

2:25 pm, April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mere fact that I don't live anywhere near somewhere that I could hear the Grandstand tune at 12.15 GMT/BST is unimportant. It's knowing that's it's there & that I may now slack off for the next 5 imperial hours that is a vital part of my existence. I don't pay my license fee on the grounds off the BBC not asking me to do so, what with living abroad & so on but if I lived in Britain at this crucial point in the nation's history I would be strongly tempted not to pay it until the Grandstand theme was restored. & anybody trying to make me pay it would be looking at the wrong end of my AK 47 what's more.

3:34 pm, April 25, 2006  
Blogger The Aunt said...

I shall mourn Gary Lineker.

Not that I watch Grandstand, but if I happen upon it, I am drawn always by Gary Lineker's toothpaste smile, somewhat suspicious tan and those wonderful ears. OOOOOOOOOH. Yes indeedy.

7:31 pm, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

"Somewhat suspicious tan"?

The man's orange!

8:10 am, April 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home