Sunday 23 April 2006

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati*

I am Canadian. We are known for our macho lumberjack/courier-de-bois/prairie farmer/fisherman types who pride themselves on being able to turn their hand to just about anything. And that's just the men.

So it won't surprise people in other countries that one of our most successful TV shows has been "The Red Green Show," the tales of Possum Lodge and its members, who are led by the title character, Red Green, the man responsible for changing the meaning of "DIY" to "duct tape it yourself."

It's all quite silly, really, and that kind of humour that you either hate or love, but if you can't take the mickey out of yourself, who can you take it out of? Anyone who's ever lived in a small town anywhere in the world has met these characters, more or less.

Red has contributed such conversational gems to the Canadian vernacular as, "Spare the duct tape, spoil the job." and "Keep your stick on the ice!" and my favourite, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

And the oh-so-apt Man's Prayer I'm a man... but I can change... if I have to... I guess.




*The Possum Lodge motto - Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead.)

Update WE CANADIANS DON'T ALL LOOK LIKE HAROLD. JUST THE MEN.

NANUK MADE ME SAY THIS. THAT IS ALL.

9 Crumbs:

Blogger Joy said...

I've seen that show. We get it here in Tennessee or at least we used to. I'll have to check. A male friend told me about how hilarious it was, and I agree.

5:14 am, April 23, 2006  
Blogger nanuk said...

Please rewrite this article stressing in the strongest of terms that we Canadians don't all look like Harold.

/it's just the men who do

10:27 am, April 23, 2006  
Blogger The Aunt said...

Even that man who plays the Mountie in Due South? He doesn't look like Harold. No no.

Mmmm. If he's ever short of things to Mount....

5:45 pm, April 24, 2006  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Oh no, no, no, no! He looks nothing like Harold!

Mind you, neither does the actor who plays Harold. He's actually pretty durned cute when he's being normal.

I'll play Musical Ride* with either of them any time they like...

*http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/musicalride/photos_e.htm

7:38 pm, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

Duck Tape is the greatest substance known to man.

In 50,000 years, aliens will come to pick over the remains of our civilisation, and duck tape will be all they find.

8:18 am, April 25, 2006  
Blogger The Aunt said...

I don't want to know where Scary gets the sticky substance he puts on Duck Tape.

MANK! MANK! MANK!

7:33 pm, April 25, 2006  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

I beg to differ. Duct tape is superior to duck tape in every way. For one, you don't have to pluck off the feathers before you use it. And there is a distinct absence of mank. Duct tape is without a doubt the greatest substance known to mankind, even when it's called gaffer tape. As Red would say, "Spare the duct tape, spoil the job."

That Scary. He's quackers.

5:01 pm, April 26, 2006  
Anonymous Chaz Chortle said...

I don't know. I saw Harold's girlfriend. They could easily be from the same gene pool.
Maybe in New France, but not the central and western provinces.

Talk show in the states (Detroit).
Host asks a hip-hop singer what kinda women he likes. (?)
Answer: I likes my womenz likes I likes my ham... Lean - Canadian - Slightly Toasted - Not Too Smokey - and Bone In.

5:27 pm, October 13, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

3:53 pm, November 29, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home